The SDL Forum was a biennial (once every two years) event held from 1983 to 2017. It was agreed at the Society AGM 2018 to discontinue the use of the title "SDL Forum" and that subsequently there would be annual events would known as SAM events (see below). The SDL Forum was an event where experts, users, toolmakers and even some critics of ITU System Design Languages (such as ITU Message Sequence Chart, ITU Specification and Description Language) and related notations (such as UML) met face to face. Although it was a conference, the name "Forum" was retained because the main characteristic of the Forum was a meeting place for people involved or interested in System Design Languages (SDL).
- SDL2019 19th SDL Forum - to be a SAM event - see above.
- Oct 2017 Budapest 18th SDL Forum
- Oct 2015 Berlin 17th SDL Forum - Proceedings
- Jun 2013 Montréal 26-28 June 2013 16th SDL Forum - Proceedings
- Jul 2011 Toulouse 04-08 July 2011 15th SDL Forum - Final Programme and Proceedings
- Sep 2009 Bochum 22-24 Sept. 2009 - 14th SDL Forum - Final Programme and Proceedings
- Sep 2007 Paris - 18-21 Sept. 2007 - 13th SDL Forum - Final Programme and Proceedings
- June 2005 Grimstad 20-23 June - 12th SDL Forum - Proceedings
- June 2003 Stuttgart 02-04 July - 11th SDL Forum - Final Programme and Proceedings
- June 2001 Copenhagen - 26-29 June - 10th SDL Forum - Final Programme and Proceedings
- See Proceedings for publications of the 3rd to the 11th Forum.