Information is provided here about System Design Language tools (Specification and Description Language tools, Message Sequence Chart tools and User Requirements Language tools). Some of the tools support these languages and other notations as well. The list does not intend to favour any specific supplier or tool (if you think it does - please complain). Every supplier (or even proprietary offerings) can get a reference on these pages. The purpose of this page is to enable System Design Language users to contact the suppliers and make their own judgements.
- Cinderella the supplier of the Cinderella SDL (support for SDL-92, SDL-96, Z.105, Z.107, and some SDL-2000 features - case sensitivity, data syntax, parameter syntax, textual procedures, range check expression ...), Cinderella MSC and Cinderella SITE (a code-generator that generates ANSI C++ from the Specification and Description Language).
- PragmaDev the supplier of PragmaDev Studio which supports the Z.100 series and a variant called SDL-RT for graphical representations of traditional concepts and combines some elements of the Specification and Description Language with other features and C language binding as in SDL-2010. PragmaDev Studio supports testing with the Z.160 series Testing and Test Control Notation, TTCN-3. PragmaDev have produced two videos: Introduction to SDL and Introduction to TTCN.3 .
SINTEF Telecom and Informatics the supplier of : TIMe - The integrated Method - A free 'Electronic Book' (in HTML) for UML, Specification and Description Language and MSC methodology, and previously supplied the flexible Specification and Description Language transformation tool ProgGen ("SDL92" and "SDL88" were supported - probably discontinued contact SINTEF).
TIMe was a result of the Norwegian SISU project - some of those involved gathered September 2016 with an assessment in Threats.
CATT was the
supplier of the Melba
tool for the Specification and Description Language
NOTE:Richard Harris of CATT wrote on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:04 AM:
I regret to inform you that we have effectively closed down the Melba project. I have someone doing a redesign of the Website to close off that area of work.
IBM Rational was the supplier of the IBM Rational SDL Suite (previously named Tau SDL Suite and before that SDT from Telelogic) and other related tools. Marketing was withdrawn 01 Jul 2020, and service discontinued on 30 Apr 2022. IBM had acquired Telelogic, which previously acquired (amongst others):
- CS VERILOG the originator of ObjectGEODE tool for the Specification and Description Language and other related tools.
- Kvatro Telecom (Telelogic Norge AS) that was the supplier of an Specification and Description Language to CHILL translator, integrated with Telelogic's Tau Tool.
- Klocwork supplied an MSC to Specification and Description Language synthesizer. Check with Klocwork if this product is still supported as it does not seem to be on their Web site.
LG Soft Lab (an overseas RD department of LG Electronics Inc.) had a Distributed and Embedded Systems group which supplied OSD (Object-oriented Software Development), a Visual Environment for Software Development of real-time distributed systems based on the Specification and Description Language notation also with UML and MSC editors.
However, this work seems to have been discontinued.
- SanDri-La provided a complete Visio add-on application (a Windows DLL by another name) for the creation of Specification and Description Language, MSC URN, TTCN, UML and UML2 diagrams. These diagrams are defined by ITU standards Z.100 series (SDL-2010), Z.109 (UML support), Z.120 (MSC-2000) and Z.160 series (TTCN v3).
SAFIRE World for SAFIRE previously marketed by SOLINET,
which a specialist in ready-to-run solutions for signalling
systems. SAFIRE (previously SAFIRE-SDL) is a graphical tool chain designed for the
implementation and validation of state machines (FSMs). SAFIRE uses a graphical representation, based on the
international standards the Specification and Description Language, MSC, TTCN and ASN.1, in a
single environment covering the design, execution and
observation of both FSMs and test scenarios. Libraries are offered for standard signalling systems (ISDN,
SS7, V5, GSM, INAP, IP, etc) and a corresponding protocol analyzer.
NOTE: both the SAFIRE World and SOLINET links are to webarchive.org pages.
- UCS - United Computer Scientists, Ltd (http://www.ucstec.com/) briefly marketed the ezSDL tool (http://www.ucs.com.pt/ez/Products.htm - dead link) developed by ezLab for Visual Software Development of communication protocols, real-time, event-driven and embedded systems. It was claimed: Specification and Description Language and MSC graphical editors are used for system design; External code may be added; A simulator provided visual debugging; A C code generator targeted: Win32, Linux, VxWorks, QNX. The manual and a demo were available as free downloads. An evaluation version was available. This was announced in November 2004, but by May 2005 the www links had disapperared (but see links above).