Re: SDL-News: packages

Subject: Re: SDL-News: packages
From: Rick Reed TSE (rickreed#tseng.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 11:06:08 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

KEMoss6#aol.com at KEMoss6#aol.com wrote on 06/08/2003 21:14:

> Hello all
>
> I have set up this very simple system using two packages which have the same
> signals.
> I then want to use these two packages together and interconnect them using the
> same signal names.
>
> My difficulty is how identify which package definition should be used. I get
> the error message 'Due to ambiguity, the identifier must be qualified to
> denote the package defining it'. In my case the identifiers are two signal
> lists.
>
> Any ideas please

Dear Keith,

If you have two signals definitions for a signal with the same name in
different packages, you have defined two different signal (types).

For example, if S is defined in package P1 and S is defined in package P2,
these are two distinct signal definitions with identities:

<<PACKAGE P1>>S
<<PACKAGE P2>>S

It seems that you intend these to be the same signal. In this case, there
must be just one definition in one package and there should be a USE clause
for the other package to make the signal visible (assuming the packages are
not nested). For this reason, you may decide it is best to introduce a third
package containing the signal definitions, which is included by a USE in
each of the other two packages.

--
Rick Reed - rickreed#tseng.co.uk
Tel:+44 15394 88462 Mob.:+44 7970 50 96 50

--End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>