RE: SDL-News: question

Subject: RE: SDL-News: question
From: Kjeld Christensen (DXD) (Kjeld.F.Christensen#dxd.ericsson.se)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 08:11:00 GMT

-----From "Kjeld Christensen (DXD)" <Kjeld.F.Christensen#dxd.ericsson.se> to sdlnews -----

Hello

Interesting subject You are working with.
I am in the process of integrating an SDT ligth integrated kernel against our platform. While doing this I had some experiences regarding efficiency.

I found that context switch between the SDT kernel, and my OS is very expensive. A real serious issue here is the clock system. The SDT kernel will require to check the time at least once per transition.

This also means that communicating between processes in the SDL system is faster than communicating between two processes outside the system! (The light kernel is implemented as one OS process, thus we have no context switch)

I also experimented with using different optimizer levels while compiling both the system, and the Kernel. But I was not able to detect any difference!

  Kjeld Flarup (Christensen) Ericsson Diax A/S
  Faelledvej 17, DK-7600 Struer, Phone +45 97 86 94 10, Fax +45 97 85 44 22
-----------------------------------| A small but great part of Ericsson |

-----End text from "Kjeld Christensen (DXD)" <Kjeld.F.Christensen#dxd.ericsson.se> to sdlnews -----