Re: SDL-News: Asterisk input

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Asterisk input
From: Rick Reed TSE (rickreed#tseng.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:42:10 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

Jeanne Reed at admin#sdl-forum.org wrote on 04/09/2003 14:40:
>> From: "mogi.dk" <christiansen#mogi.dk>
>> To: <sdlnews#sdl-forum.org>
>> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:53:15 +0200
>>
>> I currently have a question with SDL.
>>
>> Is it possible with an asterisk input (or anything else ?) to send the
>> received signal to another state, like storing it an enter a new state.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Mads.

Dear Mads,

You have to receive the contents of the signal instance into variables - one
per parameter. This is done by putting a list of the variable names in
parentheses after the signal name in the input.
You may find it best to define the signal to have just one parameter of a
STRUCT data type, so that only one parameter and variable are needed.

The actual signal instance is consumed (and therefore ceases to exist) when
the transition for the input is entered. However, you are free to do
whatever you like with the contents of the variables. They could, for
example, be used as a parameter for an OUTPUT of a new instance of the same
signal to SELF, which would put a new signal instance with the same
parameter values in the input queue.

If your real intention is that the signal should NOT be received in the
state, you should use the SAVE mechanism for the signal. This will leave the
signal in the input queue and the agent will remain in the same state until
there is some other stimulus that causes a (non implicit) transition to be
taken. When another state is reached the set of input signals for that state
is examined and if this includes the signal it will be consumed and trigger
the transition associated with the input (provided there is no other
stimulus which should be handled first - such as a priority input, or
another signal that can be input that arrived first).

--
Rick Reed - rickreed#tseng.co.uk
Tel:+44 15394 88462 Mob.:+44 7970 50 96 50

--End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>