Re: SDL-News: Contionuous Signal and ADT

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Contionuous Signal and ADT
From: Ralf Muenzenberger (Ralf.Muenzenberger#informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 13:32:23 GMT

-----From Ralf Muenzenberger <Ralf.Muenzenberger#informatik.uni-erlangen.de> to sdlnews -----

Rick Reed TSE wrote:

> Become an SDL Forum Society member <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>
> The originator of this message is responsible for its content.
> -----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----
>
> Ralf Muenzenberger at Ralf.Muenzenberger#informatik.uni-erlangen.de wrote
> on 31/08/2000 14:17:
>
> > is it possible to use abstract data types (e.g. operators algorihmically
> > specified) in
> > continuous signals?
> >
> > With TAU 3.6 it is not allowed to use operators algorithmically specified.
> That is correct in SDL-92. The reason is that any operator algorithmically
> defined is transformed into a procedure, and procedures are not allowed in
> this context.
>
> It is possible to use operators that are specified by axioms in SDL-92.
> However, these are not supported in SDL-2000, and (as far as I am aware) are
> not supported in Tau 3.6. The operators defined in the package Predefined
> are allowed in enabling conditions and continuous signals in both SDL-92 and
> SDL-2000.
>
> In SDL-2000 operators are not transformed into procedures, and therefore
> these are allowed in such expressions. However, it is possible that in this
> case the operation may have some side effect and it is currently being
> discussed in the SDL expert group responsible for the standard what
> restrictions (if any) should be placed on operations in this context.
>
> --
> Rick Reed - rickreed#tseng.co.uk
> Tel:+44 1455 55 96 55 Fax:+44 1455 55 96 58 Mob.:+44 7970 50 96 50
>
> -----End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----
> For extra SDL Forum Society benefits, join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>
> For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as:
> help
> or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org

To use operators alogrithmically defined in enabling conditions and continuous signals is for
special issues very powerful. A solution can be to define a new kind of procedures (e.g. called
functions) and map the operators to this. The "functions" haven't a FSM and can not consume
signales, but have the operator functionality.

--
I====   Ralf Muenzenberger                        Phone:  +49-9131/85-28339
M  //   University of Erlangen, IMMD 7            Fax:    +49-9131/85-27409

-----End text from Ralf Muenzenberger <Ralf.Muenzenberger#informatik.uni-erlangen.de> to sdlnews ----- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits, join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>