RE: SDL-News: How is Nondeterminism in SDL practically useful?

Subject: RE: SDL-News: How is Nondeterminism in SDL practically useful?
Kamal.Hashmi#icl.com
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 13:27:10 GMT

-----From Kamal.Hashmi#icl.com to sdlnews -----

Hello,

As you have noted, non-determinism is essential for system
specification usually in order to correctly define the allowable
design space, and also to represent the environment.

It is also considered useful for test specifications,
but actually it is the pseudo-random number generator which
usually underlies many executable models of non-determinism which
is useful - true non-determinism would be non-repeatable and hence
useless in a test specification.

I can see no use for non-determinism in an actual design except
perhaps as a high-level shortcut (or "abstraction") for a design
which will include a random number generator (for example a
lottery machine) - and such designs are rare.

- Kamal.