Re: MSC-News: Performance and Time

Subject: Re: MSC-News: Performance and Time
From: Ekkart Rudolph (rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 16:36:29 GMT

-----From Ekkart Rudolph <rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de> to mscnews -----

Andreas Mitschele wrote:

>> PRELIMINARY GUIDELINES FOR THE INTEGRATION OF PERFORMANCE AND TIME ASPECTS
> IN SDL AND MSC
>
> (Results of the Joint Q6,9/10 Meeting in Lutterworth, Oct. 15, 1997)
>
> Currently, SDL and MSC do not support various aspects related to performance
> and time (see TDL620 for details).
>
> In order to deal with performance and time aspects in SDL and MSC
> additional information has to be associated with the SDL and/or MSC
> specification. The most important information are:
> - the arrival process, describing the signals arriving at the system,
> - the resource requirements of the parts of the specification,
> - the available resources,
> - the mapping of the parts of the specification on the resources, and
> - the sensors to specify which performance information is probed.
>
> The meeting agreed that performance and time are very important aspects
> and should be dealt with in the context of SDL and MSC.
>
> In addition, some (weak) agreement could be achieved concerning the following:
> All information typically kept in the implementation description, i.e.
> the available resources and the mapping on the resources, should remain
> outside of SDL and MSC.
> However, a standardized approach to specify this information is needed in
> order to support the application of different performance tools.
>
> No agreement could be reached concerning formal specification of the remaining
> information. Tool vendors tend to prefer SDL, the MSC community would like
> associate the information with MSCs.

Dear Andreas,
what is happening if a tool vendor is part of the MSC community?? Rather than
comparing tool vendors with the MSC community I would prefer a comparison of
SDL and MSC, e.g. time aspects concerning signal exchange can be reasonably specified
only within MSC. Otherwise I would suggest the following summary:
Question 9 or Question 6 this is the question!

Best regards!
Ekkart Rudolph

Dr. Ekkart Rudolph phone: +49 89 289 25361
Technische Universitaet Muenchen fax: +49 89 289 28183
Institut fuer Informatik, email: rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de
c/o Lehrstuhl Prof. Broy
Arcisstrasse 21
D - 80290 Muenchen

-----End text from Ekkart Rudolph <rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de> to mscnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-mscnews#sdl-forum.org