Re: SDL-News: UML vs SDL

Subject: Re: SDL-News: UML vs SDL
From: Jacqueline Floch (Jacqueline.Floch#informatics.sintef.no)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 09:14:03 GMT

-----From Jacqueline Floch <Jacqueline.Floch#informatics.sintef.no> to sdlnews -----

Dear Maha,

I cannot answer directly to your question. I know that some companies (that
developed real-time sysems - but do not use CORBA) have been evaluating
both SDL and ULM. The results of the evaluation are probably confidential.
They may present some results at the next SDL Forum.

I believe that you should not use UML or SDL but a combination of both.
They do not serve the same purposes. Have a look at the system development
methodology from SINTEF Telecom and Informatics (
http://www.informatics.sintef.no/time )

You can find information about OO modelling and SDL in the proceedings of
the last SDL forum published by Elsevier Science (SDL '97: Time for
Testing. SDL, MSC and Trends. Proceedings of the Eighth SDL Forum, Evry,
France, 23-26 September 1997.) In these proceedings you will also find
information about the use of SDL for the development of CORBA-compliant
applications.

Finally I advice you to contact the SDL tools suppliers. Have a look at
http://www.telelogic.se/solution/lang.asp
Telelogic propose methods and tools that support UML, SDL and CORBA.

Good luck!
Jacqueline Floch.

At 08:37 03.12.98 -0500, Maha Boughdadi wrote:
>The originator of this message is responsible for its content.
>-----From Maha Boughdadi <mboughda#paging.mot.com> to sdlnews -----
>
>Hi All,
>
>I received no answer concerning my request below, That's why I'm
>sendingit again.
>Thank you,
>Maha
>----------------
>I would like to know if some comparison work has been done concerning
>UML vs SDL for Real-Time system design (such as CORBA )
>Please send me white papers (or where I can find them), URL's ....
>Thank you,
>
>--
>--Maha Boughdadi
>Computer Aided Engineering
>Motorola, Boynton Beach, Florida
>Phone: (561) 739 2021
>Pager: (561) 739 2070 ##5484
>Fax : (561) 739 3955
>

>-----End text from Maha Boughdadi <mboughda#paging.mot.com> to sdlnews -----
>For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as:
> help
>or (iff this does not answer your question) email:
owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org

                       o /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\___|/____/~~~ jacqueline.floch#informatics.sintef.no ~~
Jacqueline Floch / Tel: +47 73 59 30 12
SINTEF Tele og Data D Fax: 73 53 25 86
N-7034 Trondheim, Norway Priv: 73 51 52 77
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.informatics.sintef.no/~jacf ~~

-----End text from Jacqueline Floch <Jacqueline.Floch#informatics.sintef.no> to sdlnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org