SDL-News: RE: News: Create Request

Subject: SDL-News: RE: News: Create Request
From: Sergio Lopes (Sergio.Lopes#dei.uminho.pt)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 14:18:43 GMT

-----From Sergio Lopes <Sergio.Lopes#dei.uminho.pt> to sdlnews -----

Dear SDL users,

I'm still a beginner in SDL, I like the language (although I think its
use should be made more open) and I feel the need for two improvements:

The first concerns PROCEDURE. Every time I choose a names for a
procedure's argument I end up repeating the name of another variable
outside the procedure. Sometimes it becomes difficult to get
appropriated names. I don't know how you feel about this and my
knowledge in the field is few, but I would like to have procedure that
hide its arguments' names from the outside, that is, a procedure that
doesn't sees anything else besides its arguments.

The other issue, would in my opinion improve the object-orientation of
SDL. Christensen (bellow) already pointed limitations of the CREATE
REQUEST and I think his proposed model is indeed a very useful
improvement. I want to add that it would also be useful a CREATE REQUEST
that also accepts process type identifier (names) as arguments. With
that, CREATE X in the code of a process type X when executed in an
instance of Y (Y process type inherits X) would created a Y child.

I would like to know what do you think of this.

Best regards,
Sergio Lopes.

-----End text from Sergio Lopes <Sergio.Lopes#dei.uminho.pt> to sdlnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org