Re: SDL-News: Codegeneration and Designpartitioning

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Codegeneration and Designpartitioning
From: Dagbjorn Nogva (telox1#fs.siemens.no)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 10:00:54 GMT

-----From Dagbjorn Nogva <telox1#fs.siemens.no> to sdlnews -----

Dear Juergen,

You are asking if it is advisible to generate firmware automatically
with code generators like Telelogic's Cmicro and Cadvanced under
real-time conditions in the range of a few ten microseconds.

I have no experience using Cmicro, but I have used Cadvanced in
a number of projects and experience has shown that it is *not*
recommendable to design a software system such that events must
be handled by means of SDL signals in the range of a few
ten microseconds.

I remember one particular project where we did some simple bench
marking and we found out that we would run into problems if our
SDL system had to process more than roughly 750 SDL signals per
second. Of course, it is difficult to compare systems because so
many factors will influence on the capacity.

I know that Telelogic's Cmicro is smaller, simpler and probably more
performant than code generated by Cadvanced, but I don't know the
improvement in percentage.

Best regards
Dagbjoern Nogva
Telox AS

> From sdlnews-owner#sdl-forum.org Tue Jun 16 10:50 MET 1998
> From: jjasperneite#phoenixcontact.com
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 98 16:57:58 +0100
> To: <sdlnews#sdl-forum.org>
> Subject: SDL-news: Codegeneration and Designpartitioning
>
> The originator of this message is responsible for its content.
> -----From jjasperneite#phoenixcontact.com to sdlnews -----
>

> Hallo SDL community,
>
> we are using the SDT-Tool from Telelogic to specify the upper Physical
> Layer upon the Applicaton Layer of a distributed real-time
> communiation system.
> Are there any experience in best practice to divide the
> SDL-description into hardware and software components for an embedded
> system?
> Is it advisible to generate the firmware automatically with
> codegenerators like cmicro or cadvanced under real-time conditions in
> the range of a few ten microseconds ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Juergen Jasperneite
> Technology Development Manager
> jjasperneite#phoenixcontact.com
>

> -----End text from jjasperneite#phoenixcontact.com to sdlnews -----
> For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as:
> help
> or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org

-----End text from Dagbjorn Nogva <telox1#fs.siemens.no> to sdlnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org