RE: [SDLTF-Members] SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedba ck

Subject: RE: [SDLTF-Members] SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedba ck
From: Frend Patrick-BPF005 (BPF005#motorola.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 17:43:49 GMT

-----From Frend Patrick-BPF005 <BPF005#motorola.com> to sdlnews -----

I'm not a member of the task/force but this is in the general news group as well,
so I have just replied there.

When P1 gets scheduled it has the following messages on input queue:

1: E1 <saved>
2: E2
3: E1
4: E3

E2 wants to cause the input queue to be "reset", removing the first E1
but not removing the second E1. The target state of the transition due to
E2 does not want to have to identify/process any signals that occurred
before the reset but needs the ones that come after it (even if they are
already in the queue because of a delay in scheduling the process)

There is a race condition where-by the second E1 may be queued before or
after the task is scheduled depending on the implementation and timing.
Making the reset only reset down to where the signal that provoked the
reset would illuminate the race condition and make things more deterministic.

It would be sensible semantics that the queue was flushed up to the signal that
instigated the reset (E2). It's also very simple, easy to implement/understand
and it doesn't preclude the inclusion of "save" or "priority input" etc.

This would work whether E2 was processed because E1 was saved OR because
of a priority input or signal priority, or any other means of out of order
signal processing.

Just my 2p worth.