SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedback

Subject: SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedback
From: William H. Skelton (W.Skelton#SOLINET.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 13:04:09 GMT

Dear John, Jacqueline, Richard & Laurent (and others interested in the save
construct),

Thank you for your interest in the SDL Task Force; here are some comments
to clarify the background and request more feedback from people using the
save construct or otherwise feel it is important.

Firstly, anyone not yet registered, please register on the task force home
page (www.SDL-Task-Force.org) before sending emails. Otherwise the
mail-server will reject your email and we will not receive notification of
this (although you will). I have asked the server administration to add
John, Jacqueline & Susanne (Richard should already be registered) to
prevent further emails being missed, but others will need to register.

Also I would like to point out that the SDL Task Force is identifying and
defining the 'simplest, useful SDL subset'. At the same time we are
identifying the simplest, useful enhancements to allow SDL to be used for
test requirements. The task force is a self-funding group of volunteers,
recognised by the SDL-Forum; the task force will report its results at the
SAM'04 workshop later this year (http://www.site.uottawa.ca/sam04/).

All of the language elements in the draft specification (Version 1.1) on
the web-site (Version 1.2 coming soon) have been filtered and fully
justified as essential for the implementation or validation of state
machines. The starting point is 'What is a state machine?' - a large
amount of work has been put into this and it has been taken very, very
seriously.

Please understand that it is not important for the justification of
language elements how much experience you have or what your position is;
the only thing that counts is whether the language element is essential for
(or greatly simplifies) the implementation and validation of state machines.

Although I fully respect and acknowledge that many people are established
members of the SDL community, the SDL Task Force cannot consider emails
using the author's credentials as a reason to add save to the SDL subset.

The task force members do not promote themselves or their technical
achievements in the discussions, technical comments have equal weighting
regardless of the authors experience.

So far, no example has been presented that shows why save is
essential. Some examples have come close; for example, Andreas Prinz, Qing
Li, Alkis Yiannakoulias, Rick Reed, Susanne Graf and others have presented
examples addressing specific ways save seems to be useful. These are in
summary:

1) To handle the processing of signals that may arrive in an arbitrary
order -> under discussion if other constructs may be more suitable.

2) The deferred processing of signals not covered by a procedure -> under
discussion from the view point that the way procedures are used may not be
clean.

3) The buffering of application data, while waiting for an event to happen
(i.e. activation of a data link) -> under discussion if SEQUENCE OF may be
a better way to do this.

A problem has been identified that there is no atomic way to flush signals
that have been saved. For example, if a signal E1 is saved, then E2
arrives causes a reset of the state machine, then another E1 arrives, there
is no way to flush at the time of the reset the saved E1 without losing the
new E1.

In conclusion, although there is a strong interest in save, unless there is
a technical justification presented as an essential need for a specific
situation, it will not be part of the subset. In particular it would be
very helpful and much appreciated, if those people with such a broad
experience, such as Laurent Doldi, could identify the key points why save
is needed, and contribute to the other issues at the same time.

Best wishes for the New Year - looking forward to comments...

William

>From: "John Sarallo" <sarallo#appairent.com>
>To: "Floch Jacqueline" <Jacqueline.Floch#sintef.no>,
> <members#sdl-task-force.org>,
> "'William H. Skelton'" <W.Skelton#SOLINET.com>
>Cc: <sdlnews#sdl-forum.org>
>Subject: RE: SDL-news: Experience report: Save is widely used - also by
>new SDL users
>Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:52:01 -0500
>
>All,
>
>I realize I'm a little late with this response, but I just wanted to say
>that I agree strongly with the comments made by Jacqueline
>(below), Richard, Susanne, and Laurent.
>
>I am a long time user of SDL, modelling protocols such as UMTS, 802.11,
>and 802.15.3. Automatic code generation was used to create real-time
>embedded software from these models.
>
>I have also formally taught SDL in a classroom setting, so I have first
>hand experience with new users learning and using the Save construct.
>
>Regards,
>
>John Sarallo
>
>-----------------------------------
>The Answer is Appairent!
>-----------------------------------
>John Sarallo
>Senior Protocol Engineer
>Appairent Technologies, Inc.
>150 Lucius Gordon Drive
>Suite 211
>West Henrietta, NY 14586 USA
>Phone: (585) 214-2468
>Mobile: (585) 727-2014
>Fax: (585) 214-2461
><mailto:john.sarallo#appairent.com>mailto:john.sarallo#appairent.com

William H. Skelton, Engineering Dept.
SOLINET GmbH Solutions for Innovative Networks
Mittlerer Pfad 26, 70499 Stuttgart, Germany
Tel +49 711 1398 1377, Fax +49 711 866 1240
Mobile +49 171 247 6688
W.Skelton#SOLINET.com, www.SOLINET.com

W.Skelton#SOLINET.com, www.SOLINET.com --End text from "William H. Skelton" to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at