SDL-News: Operations on Character strings.

Subject: SDL-News: Operations on Character strings.
KEMoss6#aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 16:00:06 GMT

Hello all

A happy new year to start with and I hope that Christmas hasn't left you
feeling too full.

According to Z100 and to Doldi's book. There are operations of 'Last' and
'First' that can be carried on Strings and as CharStrings inherit from strings,
on Charstrings. I cannot work how to write an assignment though.

With x and y declared as Charstrings, x being a string of two characters each
declared as Charstrings and y Charstring variable

I would like to be able to use y := First(x) to get the value of y as the
first character in x. But when I write that is a task box I get the error message
No unique expression matches left side of assignment. I understand what that
means but how do I assign y to the first character in the string? Please

Regards Keith Moss

Hello all

A happy new year to start with and I hope that Christmas hasn't left you feeling too full.

According to Z100 and to Doldi's book. There are operations of  'Last' and 'First' that can be carried on Strings and as CharStrings inherit from strings, on Charstrings. I cannot work how to write an assignment though.

With x and y declared as Charstrings, x being a string of two characters each declared as Charstrings and y Charstring variable

I would like to be able to use y := First(x) to get the value of y as the first character in x. But when I write that is a task box I get the error message No unique expression matches left side of assignment. I understand what that means but how do I assign y to the first character in the string? Please

Regards Keith Moss
--End text from KEMoss6#aol.com to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at