Fwd: Re: SDL-News: Fwd: [SDLTF-Members] SDL IS IN DANGER

Subject: Fwd: Re: SDL-News: Fwd: [SDLTF-Members] SDL IS IN DANGER
From: William H. Skelton (W.Skelton#SOLINET.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 07:52:10 GMT

-----From "William H. Skelton" <W.Skelton#SOLINET.com> to sdlnews -----

Dear Susanne,

Thank you for this useful background; my comments below...

For anyone else interested, the save discussion is still going on, you can
register at www.SDL-Task-Force.org.

William

>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:11:42 +0100
>From: Susanne Graf <Susanne.Graf#imag.fr>
>
>Dear William,
>
>Laurent is right, one should be careful before throughing the save
>construct away. As I already explained in an earlier mail. SAVE is very
>different from the use of priorities. You cannot replace the SAVE
>construct by priorities otherwise than in a very odd manner.

We are being careful and that is why we are discussing it so much. :-)

>SAVE construct can be used for bad reasons:

Thanks for these examples.

>1. first a bad one: if there are two signals a process waiting for, which
>may arrive in any order. One sees then often specifications which, in
>order to avoid the explicit interleavings use SAVE in order to force the
>consumption in a particular order.
>Duplication of programm text is not desirable, but here paralleising the
>independent activities would be the nicer solution.

How could this parallelizing be done?

>2. now, if there exists constraints on the order in which a process can
>execute certain activities, for example A2 should never be executed before
>an A1 has been done, and the processes triggering these activities are not
>necessarily symchronized or don't even know about these order constraints,
>then there exist 2 solutions:
> a) through requests which cannot be served away
> b) but honsestly, this is not always a solution. Another solution is to
> store the information that the request is there and do it when a state
> allowing this activity is reached. Obviously you can now introduce a new
> variable saving the request and it's parameters (may be even several of
> them), but the simplest solution is to maintain the signal in the signal queue.

OK, we have been discussing this under the heading of 'packet buffering'
with these notes:

-- SDL and save doesn't allow an atomic flushing of the saved signals.
-- It means one state may depend on side-effects from another state, the
hot-potato problem.
-- An explicit queue is closer to traditional software methods and closer
to the application, which is best able to manage it.
-- It is not clear maintaining the signal in the input queue is the
'simplest' solution.

For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>