Re: SDL-News: Fwd: [SDLTF-Members] SDL IS IN DANGER

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Fwd: [SDLTF-Members] SDL IS IN DANGER
From: Susanne Graf (Susanne.Graf#imag.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 19:11:42 GMT

-----From Susanne Graf <Susanne.Graf#imag.fr> to sdlnews -----

Dear William,

Laurent is right, one should be careful before throughing the save construct
away. As I already explained in an earlier mail. SAVE is very different from the
use of priorities. You cannot replace the SAVE construct by priorities otherwise
than in a very odd manner.

SAVE construct can be used for bad reasons:
1. first a bad one: if there are two signals a process waiting for, which may
arrive in any order. One sees then often specifications which, in order to avoid
the explicit interleavings use SAVE in order to force the consumption in a
particular order.
Duplication of programm text is not desirable, but here paralleising the
independent activities would be the nicer solution.

2. now, if there exists constraints on the order in which a process can execute
certain activities, for example A2 should never be executed before an A1 has
been done, and the processes triggering these activities are not necessarily
symchronized or don't even know about these order constraints, then there exist
2 solutions:
   a) through requests which cannot be served away
   b) but honsestly, this is not always a solution. Another solution is to store
the information that the request is there and do it when a state allowing this
activity is reached. Obviously you can now introduce a new variable saving the
request and it's parameters (may be even several of them), but the simplest
solution is to maintain the signal in the signal queue.

regards,
Susanne

--
Susanne Graf          | tel : (+33) (0)4 56 52 03 52
VERIMAG               | fax : (+33) (0)4 56 52 03 44

--End text from Susanne Graf <Susanne.Graf#imag.fr> to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>