RE: SDL-News: time conversion

Subject: RE: SDL-News: time conversion
From: Thomas Weigert (thomas.weigert#motorola.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 19:13:28 GMT

-----From "Thomas Weigert" <thomas.weigert#motorola.com> to sdlnews -----

I understand the value of type checking. However, it is not clear to me how
much value type checking adds in this particular case---it seems reasonable
to add two Reals (one representing a time, the other a duration) to obtain a
new time. In practice these are Integers or Reals anyway (in the code
generator) and usually one interacts with external functions when it comes
to time (either stored in PDUs, or part of calls to middle ware). So one
usually ends up doing conversions between time or duration as represented
externally as Integers or Reals, and time and duration as represented in
SDL. Seems that this may be situation where the type checking is more often
in the way than it helps?

--End text from "Thomas Weigert" <thomas.weigert#motorola.com> to sdlnews ---
For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>