MSC-News: Re: SDL-News: Need help selecting a Research Topic.

Subject: MSC-News: Re: SDL-News: Need help selecting a Research Topic.
From: alfgonza (alfgonza#sarenet.es)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 21:42:46 GMT

-----From alfgonza <alfgonza#sarenet.es> to mscnews -----

All tools I know to edit or edit with SDL are propietary. I would be interesting
develop a tools for editing SDL description, maybe using the Qtk toolkit.

About code generation from SDL all tools I know generate code more or less
directly
from a SDL description. I have not seen yet a tool that implements what it is
recommended in the Z100 appendices II and II section I-7, a design implementation
that describes
how a given SDL description can be implemented in several hardware configurations,
or
how to automate in a tool a high level SDL specification refined by non functional

specication which give a refined SDL specification that its close to the final
implementation
on a real system.
It would be nice to have a tool that automates the relationship between a high
level SDL specification of a system to the several implementation specifiations
and refined SDL specification that can be derived depending on the final
systems/targets.

Prakash R wrote:

> The originator of this message is responsible for its content.
> -----From Prakash R <rprakash#cdotb.ernet.in> to sdlnews -----
>
> Rick Reed TSE wrote:
> >

> > First you should make sure that you have access to one of the primary
> > commercial SDL tools (In alphabetical order):
> >
> > Cinderella (www.cinderella.dk)
> > ObjectGEODE (www.verilog.fr)
> > SDT (www.telelogic.se)
> >
> > I believe all these organisations have special arrangements for research
> > students.
> >
> > These tools are all able to make SDL diagrams (users use the graphical
> > form), analyse the diagrams to check that they are statically correct, and
> > produce SDL in either the textual form (SDL/PR) or common interface format
> > (CIF). Any tool that you make can use these formats as input.
> >
> > The Humboldt University SDL tool may also be available as the basis for
> > further research.
>
> I do have access to ObjectGEODE. I'm currently using it to learn SDL.
>
> But, what exactly is required by the SDL community is not very clear to
> me.
>
> > There is an unfulfilled demand for Java generation from SDL, but
> > unfortunately I do not think it would be feasible to do this within the
> > effort budget you have. I do not know if you have considered a team project
> > and whether this is acceptable to you institute. It may be possible to do
> > this with a team of 3 or 4 in the timescale.
> >
> > Of course, a GNU-SDL would stimulate more research.
>
> Since this is an individual degree, I doubt whether IISc will accept
> teams of 3-4 people working on the project. Also it would be difficult
> to find 3 more people interested in doing the same thing in the same
> university. As I have discovered, not many people outside the
> telecommunication industry know about SDL. Keywords like Java in a
> project title might attract a few people. But still it is very difficult
> to find research students wanting to work on this topic currently at
> IISc.
>
> Is there any other platform/media where SDL concerns are
> voiced/discussed? What about GNU-SDL? Seems like a good idea to me. I'll
> need help. Anybody else interested?
>
> --
> Prakash R
> Co-ordinating Engineer
> C-DOT (Centre for Development of Telematics)
> 71/1, Sneha Complex, Miller Road, Bangalore - 560052, India
> Email:rprakash#cdotb.ernet.in, Phone:+91-80-2263399, Fax:+91-80-2263256
>
> -----End text from Prakash R <rprakash#cdotb.ernet.in> to sdlnews -----
> For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as:
> help
> or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org

-----End text from alfgonza <alfgonza#sarenet.es> to mscnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-mscnews#sdl-forum.org