Re: MSC-News: The loop operator

Subject: Re: MSC-News: The loop operator
From: Lennard Lambert (ldlamber#immd7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 09:36:28 GMT

-----From Lennard Lambert <ldlamber#immd7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> to mscnews -----

Dear Dagbjoern Nogva,

   Does the loop operator denote a parallel loop or a sequential
   loop? By parallel loop I mean that all iterations are executed
   in parallel.

   As far as I can see, Z.120 doesn't say anything specific, however
   I guess the answer is sequential loop, i.e. each iteration is
   executed in sequence.

I had a short look up and I have also not found any precise
definition. But in section 6.20 an exapmle is given that confirms
your opinion.

   If so, is it possible to specify a parallel
   loop by combining the par operator and the loop operator in some
   way? Or do I just have to make a comment?

In our annotational extension of MSC-96 to integrate performance
issues, called Performance MSC, we had the same problem. We want to
express a parallel composition of parallel loops. Since annotational
extension means comments with semantics to our tools, we had no
problem using the comment variant.

I do not see how a combination of par and loop operators can help to
express a parallel loop within the current semantics of MSC-96 since
an instance in the loop can only start its next iteration after it has
completed the current one.

Best regards

Lennard Lambert

--
University Erlangen-Nuremberg    |    Room:    06.151
IMMD VII                         |    Phone:   (49) 9131 / 85-7697

-----End text from Lennard Lambert <ldlamber#immd7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> to mscnews ----- For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as: help or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-mscnews#sdl-forum.org